Monday, April 26, 2010

Day One: Still Alive and Optimistic

Its 6pm on my first day of juicy detoxification. And it hasn't been bad, so far, but it is very likely that I am speaking too soon. The evenings are always the hardest parts when dieting - there's a crucial point at about 10pm when you're so hungry that your only choices are to raid the cupboards for food, food, any type of food or go to sleep before you get any hungrier.

I was in work today so this made this whole routine a lot easier. I was really busy and didn't get around to eating til lunchtime (I'm sure the dietary gods would frown on this) when I had a strawberry and banana smoothie. I have just had a much-too-small portion of vegetarian sushi for dinner and that leaves me with one smoothie/juice allowance remaining for the day, which I'll probably have at about 8 o'clock, because I'm hungry already and I've just eaten the only meal that requires teeth for this whole day...

I feel fine. Apart from the hunger, there are no headaches, weakness or anything like that, because, let's face it, this isn't as extreme as eating only apples or maple syrup/lemon concoctions. That's what kind of makes me think this is a bit more sensible than other fads, since you do actually get to eat, and get some nutrients. Saying that, as soon as this week is over, I'm sure I will be craving filthy carbs and all the cheese I can handle. The killer right now is my craving for something sweet, which will be conquered with my steely determination.

I was reading what Gwyneth Paltrow actually eats as part of this diet, and realised that what I'm doing is really just an adaptation of it. She drinks some weird powder dissolved in water for breakfast, and miso soup for lunch with homemade fruit and vegetable shakes. I am a poor student who can't afford a blender or weird breakfast powder or miso for miso soup so I am settling for fruit juice and smoothies. It's all the same anyway right?

Anyway, I'm off to research what the most filling fruit juice might be...

No comments:

Post a Comment